Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Writing Project Contents

Writing Project -

Mike and I have both been feeling pretty stagnant of late, so we've decided to work on a new project based on random plots generated on a website. We've got a long list of potential stories, and we trade off picking one and and setting a deadline of a few days to write something.

The rules are that it has to be at least 500 words, and must fit the plot that we're given, and we need to at least make a solid effort to finish.

The goal is simple: keep writing, keep fresh, and keep practicing.

Every one of these pieces feels like it has potential, and they are all things that I'm hoping to revisit later. Mike and I have discussed potentially publishing a collaborative collection of short stories from this, which I think would be a lot of fun.

So far it's been pretty fun, and I'll be posting each short story piece as we go. (The dates listed are the due dates for each project, if you're curious).


Writing Project #1 - 2008_03_23

A sheriff survives a plane crash on the way to Mexico.

3,740 Words - 20,026 Characters

This was our first challenge, and I view it as a warm up, however I was pretty pleased with the story over all. This was an idea I'd had for a while, wanting to have a character that saw death and didn't realize it until later. When I started writing this story, I had something else in mind, and didn't realize I'd be using Death in it until I was a page and a half in.

Writing Project #2 - 2008_03_26

A researcher of deadly viruses goes on an ill-fated trip in a run-down apartment complex.

3,468 Words - 19,265 Characters

I had originally started trying to write this as set in Siberia, but after re-writing the first page about five or six times I settled on the story that was actually running around my head, this one.

Writing Project #3 - 2008_04_02


A dejected geek acquires the ability to read minds after he loses everything.

6,550 Words - 35,194 Characters

This one is the longest I've done so far, and the one I'm most disappointed in. I really liked the idea of this story, and really wanted to do something with it, but I found that there was no way to get it all done in such a short time frame. I am, however, actively trying to edit this one, and work on getting the story back on track.

This is the edited version, when I'm done with the second draft, it will take the first's place here.

Writing Project #4 - 2008_04_08

Feuding neighbors discover a shocking secret over the Winter

4,120 Words - 21,795 Characters

This one became a huge challenge for me. I had the neighbors all figured out, I was able to visualize them simply, I can tell you that Rene has both the TV and the movie versions of the highlander swords displayed in a case in his office, and that on his wall is a copy of Green Lantern #1 mounted in a mylar display case. Richard's kitchen has an extremely tacky duck print border all around it, which Richard hates but Mary thought he would love.

The problem wasn't the feuding, but the shocking secret. I had told Mike that I was giving up, and he just said, "No, pick something at random and go with it, even if it's stupid!"

Which I did, and it worked out alright. To be honest, I would love to continue this as a novella, rather than leaving it as a short story.

Writing Project #5 - 2008_04_11

A vampire tries to reunite with her family in the suburbs.

1,120 Words - 5,671 Characters

This one is not up yet because it's not due yet, but I've basically finished it. I wrote the assignment in the email and shot it off to Mike and then closed the lid on my laptop. Before the laptop was set back in its bag, inspiration struck and I hammered this out.

No comments: